This helped to get an initial feel of the character visually based off a few personality traits that was in the brief and what was discussed. I presented the 3 concepts to my programmer who told me the parts he wanted to keep and the parts he wanted to get rid of. We came to an agreement and I went on to work on the head and the body separately.
In a nutshell this technique made things work A LOT faster!
After drawing out the final concepts for the body I also drew a side and back profile that would later prove useful in the modelling stage. The next step was to begin turning these concept drawings into blueprints. The first thing I had to figure out accurately was the proportions of the Senator.
These would also provide me with templates to figure out:
- Model Topology. By drawing out the basic mesh of the geometry I could then begin to figure out were key areas would be such as certain edge loops around the elbows and knees to allow good deformation during the animating.
- Extra props and their placements. This allowed me to draw on extra geometry that would be added all as either symbolic or practical use to the character. Things such as drawing his belt and then planning how to model the belt and where it would be on the main body.
- Texture. By painting texture maps on the templates It acted as reference material that allowed an efficient practice that definately saved time during painstakingly long texturing process.
- Rig & Joint placement. This helped me figure out how to build up a rig that would work well enough to create the animations that are required. It also helped me to document progress through the rigging with instructions on creating the rig.
Back profile blueprint.
Front profile blueprint. The area highlighted in green represents that the model will be created as half a model and then using Mirror Geometry tool to build up the other half. This technique saves alot of time.... especially when time is of the essence.
Side profile blueprint. The red crosshatched area represents the faces that will be extruded to create the arms.
Figuring out where the props would be placed and also notes on how I could possibly model the geometry.
The texture for the main body of the geometry which is the Senators Robe. I also thought about skin colour and mixed a couple of watercolours to try get a feel for the skin. The other thing i've made note of is the robe will have ash and soot marks as he is in a burning building.
Using the same method for the body which I found to work effectively, I implemented it into the head and hair design.
Using the head sheets and the head shape me and Darminder decided on I created another template. This one helped me figure out how I was going to model the head. At this point I still felt that using Extrusion on edges to create a head as a separate piece of geometry would be the easiest and most effective way to do it however I learn't later on that this way would cause way too many problems when making a low poly model but we will get to that later....
The hair also posed a difficult challenge to try and design as I couldn't make an informed judgement or run a test piece on Maya however after careful thought I decided it would be best (and quicker..always got to keep that in mind with this project) if I selected the faces of the head and extruded them to create the hair and beard and then tweak the vertices to give it the final shape.
I wanted to establish the basic shape of the hair and to help myself from getting confused over how many fringes he is going to have I systematically named each point and drew a side profile aswell to help me gain a clearer understanding.
Finally I planned the texture of the face by painting with watercolour onto the templates.
I also went on to do some blueprints for the rig setup and also some animation timings and notes which can all be found in my RVJ.
Without the use of a PC my production time was cut to just over a week. This meant that I had to move fast and prioritise certain aspects of production.
the eye sockets are well placed but a bit skeletal, you might want to think about broadening the bridge of the nose, also the lips are currently a bit big. The face seems to come to a sharp point where the you've mirrored it, try smoothing ...this out so the entire face is curved evenly. I would also recommend modelling the lips with a whole where the mouth is and then move the lips into a closed position. (Facebook Feedback)
I decided to scrap the head and model it again but by extruding the neck on the body geometry and then blocking it out from a cube. Then by adding edge loops around the head to create the contours of the eyes, nose and mouth I carried on re-working into the head.
Adding the hands to the body. I imported the hands I had created in Week 3 without the rig and then using combine mesh and merge vertices I attached them to the arms using existing edge loops and finally deleted the excess edges out the hands.