Thursday 12 November 2009

Critical Studies - I Met the Walrus

Just something that was looked at in critical studies today, a short animation directed by Josh Raskin and produced by Jerry Levitan and I quote 'The film is based on an interview of John Lennon by Jerry Levitan in 1969. Levitan, then 14 years old, tracked Lennon to his hotel room at Toronto's King Edward Hotel after hearing a rumour that Lennon had been sighted at the Toronto Airport. Jerry inveigled his way into John Lennon's suite and conducted an interview. The animation is based on Levitan's recording of the interview, which was edited down to 5 minutes. Josh Raskin's focus was on the interview itself. "I just wanted to literally animate the words, unfurling in the way I imagined they would appear inside the head of a baffled 14-year-old boy interviewing his idol.'

What really intrigues me about this animation is how the narrative is constructed entirely from the audio as opposed to the audio engineered to fit the visual. I love the flow and the quirkyness of this animation and I have noticed how this style has been used for adverts, particularly Microsoft.

Check it out...

No comments:

Post a Comment